What is a Prevention Academy? Great question.
Prevention Partners gathers their clients within a specific geographical region and brings them together for some intensive wellness training. What is wellness training, you say?
Side bar… Prevention Partners offers hospitals, schools, government agencies and businesses unique wellness products. They have several programs which work in conjunction with a company’s health benefits to offer ways of working healthy within the workplace. ex. exercise programs, nutritional guidance, tobacco cessation programs.
Back to the prevention academy…At this gathering, companies come together to discuss their successes and even their failures to learn how they can offer ways to live healthy at work.
Physical Activity: ideas range from incentives to join fitness centers, walking meetings, 2 minutes of exercises at your desk each hour.
Nutrition ideas: Offer healthy meal options in the cafeteria, list healthy choices in vending machines, catering healthy ideas, or replace the candy bowl with fresh fruit or shelled nuts.
Tobacco-Free: Quit smoking incentives such as access to hotline counselors, access to tobacco cessation products, tobacco-free campus policies.
Culture of Wellness: Lots of discussion around how to get everyone on board from the top down.
As a GSK employee, interaction with the end customer doesn’t exist. This is a private moment between doctor and patient. This is the nature of the pharmaceutical industry. So the opportunity of meeting and interacting with Prevention Partners’ clients is an exceptional milestone during my PULSE assignment. Watching the Prevention Partners’ staff guide their clients to design custom wellness programs for each of their companies is an invigorating experience.
It helps to solidify the Data Integration project I am leading. Getting the most accurate data to the staff so they can in-turn share it with clients to increase their wellness behaviors.
Prevention Partners’ tagline is Healthy Places Changes Lives. My personal Pulse assignment motto is Healthy Data Helps Prevention Partners Change Lives.
Weekly Wellness Tally
I totally rocked the Wellness Challenge this week and got to draw from the coveted prize box. U’ze B soo jealous!
– 2 bike rides
– 1 – 1 hour walks
– 0 – ½ hour leisurely swims
– 5 – ½ hour walks at work
– 2 – walks to run errands at plaza across the street
– 4 – ½ hour runs (indoors)
– 1 – ½ hour set of leg trashing. Does lying on the couch with my legs hanging over the couch arm and then kicking my legs into the air count?
– Averaging 5 or 6 / day
– Back to massive blueberry binges…hurry, the season is almost finished
– Strawberries are going straight into smoothies; they are just too ripe to store for more than a day
– Snap peas and carrots
– Ate some crunchy green tree like substance with my Thai noddle dish
– Nada on the Chocolate: Not one stinkin’ cookie. Although, I stared longingly at the bowl of chocolate mini candy bars which sits upon my bosses desk.
See you next week,
Pulse 2014 volunteer at Prevention Partners, Chapel Hill, NC, USA