Healthy places change lives
July is Passport to Wellness month here at Prevention Partners. So we are challenged to eat 5 – 9 fruits and vegetables a day and exercise for 30 minutes a day. We earn points for our accomplishments. Lots of points = prizes. This week is Mexican themed so I made chicken tacos with extra veggie toppings and pineapple salsa (a girl has to get her fruits in where she can). For dessert, we had blueberries sans flan. Last thing anyone needs is me trying to make flan.
To keep the fun going, we had a companywide Zumba class, which will earn you 1 point. My Zumba style earned me the envy of my co-workers with best clapper and “I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing so I’ll just march in place” awards.
Weekly Wellness Tally
1 bike ride (Major thunder storm cancel Wednesday night’s ride)
0 – 1 hour walks
2 – ½ hour leisurely, “ I really hate sticking my face in the water” swims
2 – ½ hour walks at work
0 – walks to run errands at plaza across the street
3 – ½ hour runs (indoors)
1 – ½ hour set of vigorous leg movement that sort of resembled Tae Bo for someone with no bones in their legs.
1 – ½ hour Zumba (see picture for proof)
– Averaging 3/day (Champagne counts, right?)
– Ate an entire box of blueberries for breakfast to get points by end of week. My co-workers replied in kind with pictures of Violet Beauregard from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
– From last week: Purchased 1 peach (Yeah, it’s still in the crisper drawer and starting to look a bit sad). I have grilling plans, maybe some balsamic vinegar on it.
– And I did peal a grapefruit and separate it into wedges. No further plans for consumption at this point.
– Devoured an entire bag of baby carrots (night vision, here I come)
– Roasted Eggplant yumminess
-Same roasting process used on zucchini and asparagus yielded soggy, wilted green things, which ended up in tiny pieces in lentil soup.
– 2 or 3 cups of decaffeinate black tea per day. Trying to cut back on the sugar I use per cup. I am solidly at 2 teaspoons per large travel cup right now.
– 0 Chocolate. I ROCK!!! – Nope wait…I ate one of the Golden Oreos with the chocolate filling. 55 calories and caffeine. Ugggg.
See you next week,
GSK Pulse 2014 volunteer at Prevention Partners, Chapel Hill, NC, USA